Thursday, April 14, 2011
Thai dessert: Tub-tim grob means crunchy ruby
water chesnuts/sengkuang cina
tapioca flour/tepung ubi kayu
red food coloring/pewarna merah
Syrup - sirap gula
4 cups of water/air
230 gm sugar/gula
pandan leaves (cut into strips)
jackfruit slices/hirisan buah nangka (optional)
1. Prepare the syrup first. Bring those ingredient of syrup to boil until smell of pandan leaves fragrant off the fire let it to cool down.( adjust sweetness to preference)
2. Wash water chestnut and remove skin. Dice water chestnut into cubes.
3. Add red colouring to the chestnut coating evenly (if too dry, add a little water)
4. Toss coloured water chestnut in tapioca flour.
5. Scoop the chestnuts into a strainer to get rid of the excess flour and put onto a dry plate and spray some water on it, and toss in tapioca flour again.
6. Repeat step 4 and 5 till you get the right size of ruby you want.
7. Boil a pot of water. When boiling, dump the coated rubies in. The cooked rubies will float and show their beautiful color.
8. Scoop them up in a strainer and dump them in ice water.
9. Add 500gm of coconut milk to the cold syrup. Then add in the drained red ruby. Serve with crushed ice and sliced jackfruit.