small round cheese rolls baked next to each in a honeycomb pattern aka roti naik Oman :-)
recipe from desitwist
3 cups of white flour
2 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup of oil
1/4 cup of powdered milk
3/4 cup of water
12 tbsp sugar
cream cheese - cube
1 beaten egg
1. Mix the 1 cup of the flour with the yeast, baking powder, and powdered milk, water, and oil. Gradually add more flour, just until the dough stops being sticky. Cover and let sit for an hour to rise.
2. Lightly oil a large baking sheet, or a very large round cake/casserole pan. Take a small amount of dough at a time and roll into a ball. Then flatten it in your hand and put about 1/4 of a cheese triangle in the middle. Close the dough around the cheese and pinch edges to seal. Dust your hands with flour if needed to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.
3. Place the first dough ball, sealed edges down, in the middle of the baking sheet. Continue placing dough balls on the baking sheet, sealed edges down, around in a spiral off the first dough ball. The balls should lightly touch each other but not be smashed together.
4. When finished, brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle on some sesame seeds. Bake in a pre-heated oven (190C) for 25 minutes or until cooked and lightly brown on bottom and top. (Broil the top for a minute to brown, it if needed.)
5. When slightly cool, gently remove rolls onto a large round serving plate being careful not to break them apart from each other.