recipe from mamta'skitchen
aka Pulao/Pilaf /Pilau
500gm basmathi rice
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 large cardamom pods, bruised*
2 bay leaves*
5-6 black peppercorns*
1 small piece cinnamon stick*
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric**
salt to taste
1 medium sized onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tbs. oil, to fry the onion
1. Wash the rice well and leave to soak in cold water for 30 minutes, then drain well.
2. Boil the water separately (put the kettle on). Then mix with tumeric powder.
3. Heat ghee in a pan.
4. Add cumin seeds and all the whole spices marked * and let the cumin seeds crackle.
5. Add rice and stir-in gently for a 15-20 seconds, to coat each rice grain with oil.
6. Add salt and then boiling water. Measure water and use just enough to cover the rice and 1/2 inch above the rice.
7. Let the rice come to a brisk boil for 10 seconds.
8. Lower heat to minimum, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, fry the onion in a little oil until medium to deep brown.
10. Once cooked, fluff up the rice with a fork lightly. Garnished with fried onions.
11. Serve hot with meat or vegetable curries.
500gm plain yogurt
1 cucumber, diced
2 tomato, diced
1/2 onion, diced
juice from 1/2 lemon or 1 lime
a handful of coriander leaf, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, add the yogurt, diced cucumber, diced tomato, diced onion and mix well.
2. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
3. Lastly add the chopped coriander leaf.